With the start of the new Autumn season and the cold weather setting in, to me and I'm sure to many of you too, this is very exciting because it means once again wearing cozy jumpers, starting to use my hot water bottle again, taking out the fluffy socks to wear around the house but it also means switching to darker lipsticks, oh yes!
Dark red, burgundy, purple, aubergine, all amazing shades that I can't wait to start to wearing again!
But there is something important that I have recently learnt: For a good application of darker shades, you need a proper pampering session for your lips and for me, this means using a good lip scrub.
As a beauty blogger and beauty lover, I am always looking for new products to try.Up to now it has been difficult to find a nice natural lip scrub that would be worth purchasing. So "If Mohammed will not go to the mountain, the mountain must come to Mohammed", in other words, I made one myself a: DIY Honey and Brown Sugar Lip Scrub.
Well this is a super easy and effective recipe that can be done in a few minutes and also save you some money. It's a 100% natural method so your body will really appreciate it.
Here's what you need to make your own quick and easy Honey and Brown Sugar Lip Scrub:
- 2 Teaspoons of Organic Brown Sugar -> It's full of Glycolic acid, a alpha-hydroxy acid that is fundamental for maintaining healthy skin by moisturising it and protecting it from toxins.
- 1 Teaspoon of Organic Honey -> A natural source of anti-oxidants which makes it the star ingredient for skin age prevention. It keeps the skin hydrated and also has antibacterial properties.
- 2 Teaspoons of Organic Coconut Oil (Alternatively you can use Extra Virgin Olive oil) -> It 's also a rich antioxidant, but also has the properties to nourish, hydrate and heal the skin.
The tools that come in handy are:
- A little glass jar to put your scrub in once done so you can store it in the fridge to use for days afterwards;
- A teaspoon;
- A pot where to mix all the ingredients;
Now let's crack on with Stage 1: Take all your ingredients and put them in a little pot. Start mixing them up all together with a teaspoon or a little wood spatula if you have one.
You will see all the ingredients coming together and the coconut oil starting to melt. Keep mixing until you get a creamy smooth texture with the sugar grains ready to do their main job: get rid of dry skin and toxins and let your skin (in this case your lips) breath.
Stage 2: Once you are happy with the mixture you made, leave a small amount aside and just pop the rest into the little glass jar and store it in the fridge. You can use it every other day or every a couple of days if you prefer. It's a very gentle scrub so It won't hurt your lips.
Stage 3: Take the tiny amount of hand-made scrub into your finger and gently place it on your lips and start rubbing with a circular motion, for a minute or so.
Afterwards you can take a small cloth, wet it with some warm water to get rid of the grainy and stickiness and taaaa-daaaaa: super smooth fantastic lips in few minutes.
And now you are truly ready to wear those bold lipstick shades for the new season :)
Have you guys ever tried this scrub or any hand-made natural scrub before? Can you suggest any?
Hope you enjoyed this recipe and keep reading The Cleanser Beauty Blog for many more to come!